Translate

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Some Food for Thought...

Marc from Bad Catholic blog sent me this link.  I (like millions of other human beings, I hope) have been struggling with how to digest the news of Bin Laden's execution.  How exactly should I feel about this?  Well OK, feelings really aren't good or bad.  They're individually ours and they just "are."  But as a Catholic Christian, how should I process this news?  And, should I think any more differently than my Buddhist girlfriend does?
  Sauteed ginger-tofu, cilantro lime redskins, and steamed green beans, a.k.a. food for thought

And here's what my girlfriend, Cheryl had to say....


  "I don't know how people like MLK, Mother Theresa, Ghandi, HH the Dali Lama, Pope John Paul II, etc., do it.   I'm not sure how to love *everyone* that unconditionally.   I don't hate anyone, and I do forgive.  I think we should forgive, we have to.       But just because we forgive doesn't mean we forget.   Dancing in the streets to celebrate OBL death makes us no better than those who danced in the street to celebrate the deaths of thousands of Americans on 9/11, and as an American I'd like to think that we ARE better than those who celebrated the deaths on 9/11.
Do I think the world will be a brighter place now that OBL is gone?   Hardly.   We did what we had to do.   I believe that sometimes death is necessary.  This had to happen.  We could not let him live.      The only thing you'll see me rejoicing in is the fact that it was Obama who got the job done!!! 4 more years, baby!"



"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

-- Martin Luther King, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to always use love